Monday, February 10, 2014

Friendships

We have all had our fair share of friendships. Some last a lifetime. Others are gone within a blink of an eye. You don't realize how important some of those friendships are until they're gone and others you must escape from before it brings you down. Some fall somewhere in the middle. I am here to discuss all of the above.
 
 
When someone asks me who my best friend is, I have to think for a second. Do I have just one? Absolutely not. My longest friend who I have known for 15+ years is of course my best friend. He has been there through the ups & downs. He knows WAYYY too much about me (and I about him). I may not speak to him every day or week but no matter the time apart, we always pick up where we left off. He will be the friend that is by my side when we are old and gray. No doubt about it.
But my bestie who I have know a little over 6 years is in the same boat. I have fought with her, cried with her and of course laughed with her. We have inside jokes and she is the sister I never had. Is one more important than the other? Of course not. I would be lost without either one of them.
Then of course there is my boyfriend. Is he my best friend? We have dated for almost a year. I haven't known him as long as the others. But he is my heart and soul. I tell him everything and he know secrets that no one else does (or ever will.)He is my other better half. He is my best friend no doubt about it.
 
That's the first category of friends. The ones you can't live without. The next are those that come into your life, make you smile, make you laugh but have either only been there a short time or just haven't yet made an impact. I would put the people that I have lost touch with in this category. We are friends but we don't bond like I do with my "best friends". Do I care about them? Of course. I have met so many great people while living in Gainesville but not every one of them can be considered a bestie. These are my work friends. We hang out, we have the best time together. We would do anything for them but we just aren't on the same level as I am with my BFFL's. Simple as that.
 
Then comes the last group of people. Those who are the main reason for writing this post. These are the people that come into your life for some reason and you immediately (or pretty darn quickly) realize that they shouldn't be there. Harsh? Maybe. But there are just some people that are better left out of your life than in it. Without naming names(call her Friend #1)...I dive a bit deeper.
 
 One of those people is someone that I see a couple times a month. Do we work together? Maybe. A year ago, we were close. Hung out multiple times a week. We were going to live together  We were both at fault for our friendship ending. I will admit it. But the more time we spent apart, not talking, made me realize. I was a better person without her as a friend. I say this now, after not being "friends" for 6+ months because new details have come to light. I put the blame on myself for a long time. Thought I was a horrible person and was sad that I didn't have her in my life. I lost another friend (Friend #2 we shall call her) because of the situation. But when I found out that Friend #2 was no longer speaking with Friend #1...I realized I shouldn't feel this way. Friend #2 and I were going to live with this girl and now she was no longer speaking to BOTH of us. (Friend #2 has to live with her so I feel worse for her). I realized instead of putting the blame on ourselves, maybe Friend #1 was at fault for pushing us both away. I am now talking to Friend #2 and I am glad that I didn't lose her forever because of this. But what is the most confusing part of this is now Friend #1 tries to act nice to me when we are around each other. You threw away this friendship. You didn't want anything to do with me. Now I am content without you and now you want to play nice? No thank you. The funny thing is...it seems like each week she has a new "best friend" and she is always playing someone. I don't need fake people in my life . No one does. Now that I can see through the "fakeness", I know that I made the right decision by not fighting for our friendship and just leaving it alone.
 
Sorry for another rant but I felt that it needed to be said.
 
-Do you have more than one best friend?
-Do you have anyone in your life that maybe is bringing you down?
 
<3 happy bloggin'

No comments:

Post a Comment