Wednesday, July 10, 2013

You've got a friend in me

As I get older (at my old age of 23) I have started to notice that friendships seem to be few and far between. The ones that you have, hold on to because these will be the people that you spend the happiest of moments with. But make sure that not every person you meet becomes your "BFF". That's the recipe for disaster and no one needs that. I have been living in this city for almost 5 years (ekk time flies!) and I have had the pleasure to meet lots of different people (through school and work mostly). There are a small handful of those people that I am either still in contact with or even want to be in contact with. An even smaller bunch I consider friends. The friends I left back in my hometown after graduating high school are slowly becoming people that I used to know. I see updates on Facebook and I know little about their lives (not blaming them of course). I could have kept contact with them and make time to visit them, but when you move a couple hours away and life gets hectic, you slowly start to fill those spots with new friendly faces. And that is how life SHOULD be. We are expected to meet new people in each chapter of our life and to leave some of those people behind who don't belong in the next chapter. I can honestly say, I have done so and don't regret it one bit. 



On the other hand, I have found it more and more difficult to find a "good friend". I worked in the hospitality industry for 3+ years (and still do it on the weekends) and was surrounded by peers my age every day. I hung out with co-workers on the regular,and these people turned into friends. Since I only see some of them 1-2 days/week..the time I spend with them outside of work is getting less and less. Working a typical 9-5 full time job is amazing but being surrounded by mostly males who are over the age of 30 makes it difficult to find a good friend to spend time with and confide in. Don't get me wrong, I have friends that I have known for years that no matter how long we are apart, the second we get in the same room, we are back to our silly ways. But after college, many people left Gainesville for "bigger and better things" and I decided to stay here for some time until I find a place that I would rather be. Those that stayed either have drifted apart for some reason (arguments, differences or just life changes) or I haven't given the effort to stay friends with them. I know that the blame isn't solely on the environment I work in or on other people; I know have to change my attitude to be a better friend. I want to reconnect with old friends and hopefully meet some new ones along the way. 

I have heard that taking up certain hobbies (going to the gym, joining a club, etc.) has been beneficial in meeting people for solely friendships (not looking for boyfriend, I have one of those!) What are your takes on this? Have any ideas?

<3 happy bloggin'

No comments:

Post a Comment